Wednesday 13 February 2013

Self Inflicted Stress

The Toronto Board of Education is concerned over a questionnaire given to elementary and high school students. 50% of the students are worried about the future, family and school. They are strongly considering mental health intervention. What!! Another box to put people in. Listen, I don't know about you, but when I was a child, I had concerns about everything. The Cold War, world starvation, the ozone layer, cancer, and the list goes on. I managed to survive as I'm sure you did. I didn't need to be counseled by a mental health professional and labelled as this or that. Talk about a bubble wrap society. We are not only trying to stop any trauma to our bodies, but now our minds. We are humans, and most of the time we learn by going through the experience and developing strategies and actions that can deal with the situation better next time. If we don't allow these experiences to happen early in life when they are small, then how can we may make a life altering, good decision in the future? Let kids be kids. Guide them and explain consequences of their actions. Give a positive spin on their worries. Keep things as positive around the home as possible. Don't run to the doctor each time you have a hang nail or worry. You should know as parents or friends when to be concerned. Don't worry about being worried.
I mean I'm really...
Just Saying     

No comments:

Post a Comment